ALL >> Health >> View Article
Effective Ways To Communicate With The Elderly
Total Articles: 5
Also, there are physical problems that come with age that can inhibit their senses and can make communication even more challenging. However, there are certain techniques that you can adapt to maintain a healthy communication with elders.
1. Stay Aware Of Their Health Issues
Health issues can cause a lot of misunderstandings if people don't know about them. Suppose you say hello to an aged person and they don't respond, the most likely reason is a hearing impairment. But you might think that they are arrogant or cranky and change your behaviour towards them. If they forget to say hello, that doesn't mean they are aloof. They might be suffering from a memory loss or some other ailment. When you are aware of their health issues, you can take care of them in a better way.
2. Maintain Eye Contact
Most elders crave attention. When you maintain an eye contact while talking to them, they realize that their opinion is being valued and you respect them enough to avoid any distractions during the time. Use clear language and sentences. Avoid using unfamiliar modern-day slangs that they don't understand. Be more precise in what you have to say.
3. Take Them To Appropriate Gatherings
A visit to Senior citizen gatherings or foundations such as Pyari Maa Foundation can help them interact with people their own age and keep them entertained and engaged. When the elders interact with people from the same walks of life, it makes them realize that they are not alone.v
4. Be Patient
It is likely that the older person will take more time to comprehend you than usual. It is then your duty to make sure that you listen carefully when they reply and be patient even though you have to take things really slow. Adjusting to their pace is really important if you wish to facilitate a healthy communication. Patience goes a long way when you are trying to maintain an amicable relationship with the elderly.
5. Keep a Smiling Face
A smile is a symbol of positivity. When you talk to elderly people, try to keep the conversation as positive as possible and make sure you make them smile along the way too. This creates a healthy environment for interaction.
Even though aged people might get a little difficult to handle sometimes, their wisdom can help us to a great extent. All they need is attention, love, and care and you can have an engaging and enlightening conversation with them.
Vijay Singh is the author of this article. For further detail about Pyari Maa Foundation please visit the website.
Health Articles1. Kiran Skin & Aesthetic Clinic In Hyderabad
2. Know The Dangerous Of Delaying Wisdom Teeth Removal Procedure
Author: Will Sievier
3. Dr. Puneet Dhawan - Naturally Heals The Signs Of Kidney Problems
Author: Karma Ayurveda
4. Ramps Make Public Areas Accessible For Wheelchair Users
Author: Derry Hall
5. Effective Dental Treatment With A Top Dentist
Author: National Dental Care
6. Relationship Therapy Nederland Is Going To Bring Positive Outcome For You!
Author: Angelika Matthias
7. Elawoman Fertility Loan
Author: Deepak Kumar
8. Akanksha Hospital – The Best Surrogacy Clinic In India
Author: Akanksha Hospital
9. Biopsy Systems Market: Increase In Geriatric Population To Drive The Market
10. What Steps To Focus While Choosing An Orthodontist?
Author: Clark Robinson
11. Tricks To Make Your Treatment Successful!
Author: Steven Tyler
12. Are You In Need Of An Effective Nephrotic Syndrome Ayurvedic Treatment?
Author: Karma Ayurveda
13. Barnet Person Centered Therapy Is Offered By Professional And Certified Therapist Now!
Author: Patrick Harper
14. Why Is Women Empowerment Training?
Author: Tanya Sharma
15. How Oral Defect Is A Reason For Many Diseases?
Author: Frank Sullivan